Finance & Economy

Drama On Wall Street: Tell Us More

For tomorrow's program, we're planning to somehow break down the latest financial catastrophe to hit Wall Street — the massive folding of Lehman Brothers and the sale of Merrill Lynch to Bank of America.

Send us your questions.

Are you wondering what all this means for you and your assets?

Are/were you an employee of any of these financial institutions?

How are you processing Wall Street's meltdown?

Tell us more ... fast!

Comments

How can I get a copy of Michel's commentary on the hypocrisy of GOP presidential candidates speaking about the importance of education for minorities and then criticizing Barack Obama as an elitist, for his high level of educational accomplishment?

Sent by Brian Forst | 8:41 PM | 9-15-2008

The empirical evidence from the DJIA plunge is that financial institutions allowed to run amok are as deadly to the US economy as a terrorist attack. These large institutions that fail to minimize their debt exposures ultimately endanger us all. Equally, the Federal government's $465B annual deficit endangers us more than terrorists do in that we'd our ability to finance our defense and maintain the US's superior infrastructure. It worries me that Congress could spend us into being a "third world" nation while "glad-handing" each other over their service to the nation.

Sent by Theodore Gary, Cary NC | 6:03 PM | 9-16-2008

What is the relationship between China's withdrawing funds from Western lending institutions and money markets based in the USA?

Sent by Christopher M. Brown | 11:44 PM | 9-16-2008

I have a retirement account with AIG Retirement which has been hemorrhaging for awhile. Is this the same company that just got bailed out? Should I be transferring all my accounts to bonds?

Sent by mary | 2:34 PM | 9-17-2008

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a question that belongs in this space, but ...
With all of the mounting anxiety Americans may be feeling during the financial meltdown (jobs lost, 401(k)'s dwindling, home values shrinking, etc.), did anyone ever wonder how much worse things might be if George W. Bush's plan to privatize Social Security had been successful?

Strange how what can look so smart on one day can seem so utterly stupid on another.

Sent by adam fisher | 10:52 AM | 9-19-2008

Short and sweet on the government bailout of bad bank debt:

When I borrow from a bank, I am legally expected to repay that debt. Is there some reason why, if the banks borrow from me, they too should not be legally obligated to repay the debt?

Naturally, my repayment has a schedule. It's not all at once. The obligation is spread out over a given time period. Over what time period are those crafting this bailout/loan envisioning repayment to the loan institution ... i.e. me?

Sent by adam fisher | 9:31 AM | 9-20-2008

What committees was John McCain on that required all these visits to all these different countries to achieve what his level as Senator from Arizona required? Did McCain miss votes on any legislation while McCain were on these trips?

Sent by KBowman | 11:58 AM | 9-28-2008