Discussion Guidelines

Every Web site has its own rules, and these are ours. If you break them, don't be surprised if we block your comments.

First things first: If you can't be polite, don't say it. Of course, we don't want to stifle discussion of controversial issues. Some topics require blunt talk, and we're not always going to agree with each other. Nonetheless, please try to disagree without being disagreeable. Focus your remarks on positions, not personalities. No name calling, slander, comments about someone's mother, comparisons to notorious dictators — you get the idea. And under no circumstances should you post anything that could be taken as threatening, harassing, sexist or racist.

Don't use obscenities — even if the word in question is often used in conversation. We're not going to list the words we object to; you know what they are. Remember, this is a public forum and we want everyone to feel comfortable participating.

Anything you post should be your own work. You're welcome to link to relevant content and to quote from other people's work with attribution. But that doesn't mean you can copy and paste wholesale.

Please stay on topic. Think of it this way — if you hosted a book club meeting at your house, you wouldn't want someone to show up and insist on discussing reality TV shows.

Rambling is the kiss of death. We don't want to place a word count on how long your comments should be, but anything beyond a few paragraphs had better be very, very interesting to the larger community. We reserve the right to edit for brevity as well as clarity.

Please respect people's privacy. We love to learn about new and interesting individuals, but most people will not be happy to have their phone numbers or e-mail addresses published. If you need to share someone's contact information, please submit it through our contact form.

Feel free to share your ideas and experiences about religion, politics and relevant products or services you've discovered. But this is not a place for advertising, promotion, recruiting, campaigning, soliciting or proselytizing. We understand that there can be a fine line between discussing and campaigning; please use your best judgment — and we will use ours.

We appreciate the news tips members of the public send us. However, NPR reserves the right not to publicize allegations, conspiracy theories and other information which we know to be false or unsubstantiated.

Please don't use public forums for private communication. Most of our forums have a link (it's on the right side) for sending private messages to a blogger or host. Similarly, if you have comments about NPR coverage or policies generally, please don't use the blog discussion threads to air them. For issues regarding NPR editorial content or policies, write to the office of the ombudsman. To contact an NPR program or any of our business and technical departments, use the NPR contact form.

If you want to know even more information on what is and isn't allowed on NPR.org, please see our very official Terms of Use page.

Comments

After reading Mr. Ridley's post "The Sexiest Woman in Politics" about Elizabeth Edwards, I felt a little disappointment. I generally enjoy his work, but his suggestions that sexual excitement over "chick fights" is universal and that John Edwards is somehow emasculated by the fact that his wife can be aggressive in the political realm struck me as overtly sexist. I was not compelled to comment, however, until I read Mr. Ridley's guidelines for comment in which he directs his readers, "under no circumstances should you post anything that could be taken as threatening, harassing, sexist or racist." Mr. Ridley, please practice what you preach.

Sent by Donald Edmondson | 8:41 PM | 7-19-2007

After reading Mr... Ridleys article on Barry Bonds, I have to assume that just because I am a black man I can now be a jerk to everyone. I guess since Rappers have convinced us that we should care about only ourselves and our bank accounts, its ok to be unkind and a jerk towards everyone. It seems to me me that we have forgotten that Martin Luther king Jr. Said" Capitalism is always in danger of inspiring men to be more concerned about making a living than making a life. We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service and relationship to humanity.???
Now apparently its ok to only care about our selves.How disappointing black America

Sent by Neil | 4:32 PM | 7-26-2007

Re Chinese artist Lei Yixin being commissioned to sculpt statue of Dr. MLK, my first thought when I read story in Wash Post, was -- "cool. artists are being judged by their art not their nationality. Dr. MLK belongs to the world." Still, I was prepared to not like it -- until I saw a photo of the proposed sculpture. I can understand why there's controversy, but I hope that it will find its place, all 28 feet of it, among the giants of the Washington Mall for generations to come. The clay model for the sculpture is breathtaking. Dr. King seems to be literally a mountain of a man.

Sent by nancy | 5:17 AM | 8-16-2007

Concerning the "Ellen and her dog" thing:I have had animals in my life all my life, and it's hard to imagine life without them. I am genetically programmed to be incapable of abusing any living thing, yet I was turned down at my local shelter as unfit to adopt a dog. So I simply went and bought one. The only question asked was "How will you be paying?" The point I'm getting to is that the people who run these shelters and services are not really doing it for the animals, they do it to feed their own need to to be important .
The human animal has always felt this need, something that my dog wouldn't understand. She simply loves me, and would rather sleep in the snow and starve than be seperated from me. Anyone who would rather euthanise an animal than see it go to a loving home that violates their red tape is not concerned with the dog, they are concerned with themselves. Media attention and money trump all. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sent by David | 9:08 AM | 10-21-2007

So how does Ellen crying on national TV make her an irrational animal lover? If you watch the clip and pay attention, you will observe she is upset not because the dog was taken from her, but because it was taken from the hairdresser and her two little girls. She made a stupid mistake and felt badly because that mistake caused pain in others. She compounded that mistake by turning it into a public spectacle instead of handling it privately.

Sent by Bart J Johnson | 12:24 AM | 10-24-2007

thanks John for telling young Black men that strong Black men don't cry. You are going to get flack for this from those folks who think that men should be encouraged to cry. Young Black men don't have the luxury of dissolving into tears at every disappointment. More importantly you pointed out that emotions are reserved for the important things in life, like family.

Sent by Phyllis W. Allen | 11:57 AM | 11-1-2007

The slumbering Black masses is a curious piece that seems to snore a bit on the power of racial politics. Certainly not all Blacks are going to line up behind Obama in lock step, but they are not going to be neutral on his color either. I would think a get out the vote campaign in Harlem would play the race card heavily: "Vote for the brother." And why not? Some women will vote for Hilary because of her sex. Some people will vote against Romney because of his Mormon religion. All these factors will be powerful for some people and race is another one. Real question: Can this person be a president of all the people? Does this person have an agenda that will warp their decisions in some prejudicial direction that will ultimately harm the republic? GW ran as a folksy people's candidate but since he combined an inability to think with an aversion to information, he turned out to be a national disaster. And he was/is white. Obama may be the gift America is not ready to receive. Race undisclosed.

Sent by Tomas deMers | 11:01 AM | 11-29-2007

I think an African-American artist should design and direct the creation of the MLK monument. I have nothing against a Chinese national but perhaps he should be making sculptures within China to advance ideals there. I don't trust that money is not changing hands over this deal. Call me a sceptic, but I can't seem to believe that the "far from transparent" Chinese and US governments aren't lining one another's pockets. How could China go from having a deplorable record in human rights and then suddenly be listed as a most-favored nation for trade. Really now, money talks. I hope someone proves me wrong.

Sent by T. Rosato | 12:24 AM | 1-22-2008

Mr. Ridley notes in his 6/12/08 piece on Loving Day that it must be hard for youngsters to believe "people could get so bent they'd actually write laws restricting affairs of the heart." Subtle sarcasm indeed. I wonder if others listeners caught it. I can't marry the woman I love in the State of Maryland and I believe the same holds true for Virginia. The list goes on and on.

Sent by Ranice Crosby | 9:50 AM | 6-12-2008

Regarding the commentary about minorities getting little respect in the movies, I just want to send out a BIG AMEN to Mr. Ridley.
My daughter and I were just recently trying to name African American female actors, and realized that NONE of them have been in any movies lately. (or at least, very few). What a shame! I'm sure they would like to work. We have some real talent out there, that the public is being deprived of. Not only African American women are being ignored, but minorities of all backgrounds. When was the last time you saw an Asian or Hispanic woman or man in a major role in film? And this is 2008.

Sent by Mary Leola West | 10:50 AM | 8-27-2008

I read that you're writing the latest draft of the Tuskegee Airmen story - Redtails. So I'm sure that you'll balance out the playing field (and silver screen) once your work is done. Looking forward to it. Best Wishes.

Sent by Christopher Marlon | 9:34 PM | 8-27-2008