Not long after he distinguished himself as a jazz pianist, the late great Billy Taylor became a broadcaster, educator and general ambassador for the art form he loved. After he died in late 2010, the Kennedy Center — where Taylor served as artistic advisor for jazz — gathered many of the musicians who had been touched by his legacy and mentorship. Naturally, it was an all-star cast. Pianists Geri Allen, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Cyrus Chestnut, Danilo Pérez and Christian Sands join other special guests — including Taylor's former bandmates — in a tribute performance from Washington, D.C., excerpted here for Toast of the Nation
Recorded Nov. 11, 2011.
- "One For The Woofer"
- "I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart"
- "Kim's Song"
- "Can You Tell By Looking At Me"
- "Back Home"
- "A Bientot"
- "A Grand Night For Swinging"
- Geri Allen, piano/musical direcot
- Toshiko Akiyoshi, piano
- Cyrus Chestnut, piano
- Danilo Pérez, piano
- Christian Sands, piano
- Terence Blanchard, trumpet
- Chip Jackson, bass
- Winard Harper, drums
- Duke Markos, recording engineer
- Big Mo Recording, recording engineer
- Mark Schramm, onsite producer