The pianist Junior Mance counted among his employers Dizzy Gillespie, Dinah Washington and Cannonball Adderley — and that was before he started making records with his own name on them. These days, he's the educator: When he plays out, he's usually bringing a crew of younger musicians into the blues tradition. From Denver, the veteran pianist and his group play at the Boppin' at the Vineyards celebration for KUVO Jazz 89.
Recorded at Balistreri Vineyards, August 2011.
- "Dapper Dan" (Lonnie Smith)
- "Jubilation" (Mance)
- Junior Mance, piano
- Ryan Anselmo, tenor saxophone
- Andrew Hadro, baritone saxophone
- Hide Tanaka, bass
- Kim Garey, drums
- Devin Shorb/Pappas Consulting, recording engineer
- Duke Markos, mix engineer
- Special thanks to Tina Cartagena and KUVO Denver