This year saw the passing of numerous jazz legends. In Jazz Night In America's year in review, we pay tribute to bassist Charlie Haden, pianist Horace Silver and composer/bandleader Gerald Wilson, among others. We'll listen back to great live performances recorded over the past 30 years from these musicians — all from the WBGO vault — and highlight remembrances from friends and loved ones.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, "Teri" (Gerald Wilson)
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, "Carlos" (Gerald Wilson)
- Charlie Haden & Quartet West, "My Old Flame" (Coslow/Johnston) [from Sophisticated Ladies]
- Charlie Haden & Quartet West with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, "Now Is The Hour" (Scott/Kaiha/Stewart arr. Broadbent)
- Charlie Haden & Quartet West, "Child's Play" (Haden) from In Angel City
- Horace Silver, "Gregory Is Here" (Silver) from In Pursuit of the 27th Man
- Art Blakey Quintet, "Quicksilver" (Silver) from A Night at Birdland Vol. 1
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra: Wynton Marsalis, Sean Jones, Ryan Kisor, Marcus Printup, trumpet; Andre Hayward, Vincent Gardner, Wycliffe Gordon, trombone; Sherman Irby, Ted Nash, Walter Blanding, Victor Goines, Joe Temperley, reeds; Dan Nimmer, piano; Carlos Henriquez, bass; Ali Jackson, drums. Special guest: Anthony Wilson, guitar.
Charlie Haden & Quartet West: Haden, bass; Ernie Watts, tenor saxophone, Alan Broadbent, piano; Rodney Green, drums. On "Now Is The Hour" and "Child's Play," substitute Larence Marable, drums.
Horace Silver: Silver, piano; Randy Brecker, trumpet; Michael Brecker, tenor saxophone; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Mickey Roker, drums. Art Blakey Quintet: Lou Donaldson, alto saxophone; Clifford Brown, trumpet; Silver, piano; Curly Russell, bass; Blakey, drums.