Regarded as one of the world's hippest jazz vocalists, Mark Murphy (1932–2015) epitomized the jazz singer. He was discovered by Sammy Davis Jr. in 1953 and remained true to his art throughout his life.
This week, we remember Mark Murphy with this 1998 Piano Jazz session. Accompanied by bassist Sean Smith and host Marian McPartland, Murphy puts his mark on "Detour Ahead." He and Smith also perform their own "Song For The Geese."
Originally broadcast in the fall of 1998.
- "Sometimes I'm Happy" (Caesar, Grey, Youmans)
- "What's New" (Burke, Haggart)
- "Song For The Geese" (Murphy, Smith)
- "Willow Creek" (McGlohon, McPartland)
- "Detour Ahead" (Carter, Frigo, Ellis)
- "I'll Remember April" (Johnston, Raye, DePaul)
- "Gone With The Wind" (Magidson, Wrubel)
- "Blues" (McPartland)