Chiffon pies usually require no cooking and are refrigerator pies, usually thickened with gelatin (think key lime pie). This variation is made for Thanksgiving -- after all, it features cranberries.
- 1 envelope gelatin
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cranberry juice and let stand 5 minutes. Over low heat, add sugar to pan and cook until dissolved, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, pour into medium bowl and add lemon zest; chill until slightly thickened (should have jam-like consistency).
- In bowl of standing mixer, beat whites with salt until stiff, then add corn syrup in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Fold whites into cranberry mixture, scrape into pie shell and chill until completely set, about 3 hours, or up to 1 day ahead.