Liberty vs. Security: An NPR Special Report
Attorney General John Ashcroft holds a press conference.Photo: Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited
• U.S. Department of Justice
• U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
• White House 'America Responds' Web site
• President Bush's remarks to U.S. Attorneys Conference, Nov. 29, 2001
• Text of President Bush's Nov. 13, 2001, executive order establishing military tribunals for non-citizens suspected of terrorism
• U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft's prepared testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, Dec. 6, 2001.
• U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft's prepared testimony to the House Judiciary Committee, Sept. 24, 2001
• American Civil Liberties Union
• The Federalist Society National Security White Papers
• National Institute of Military Justice
• American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
• People For the American Way
• The Cato Institute civil liberties Web site
• Human Rights Watch fact sheet on past U.S. criticism of military tribunals in other countries
• FindLaw commentary on terrorism-related legal issues
• Robert Bork's National Review article on President Bush's decision to use military tribunals
NPR News Coverage
NPR News radio coverage on John Ashcroft.
NPR News radio coverage on the civil liberties debate.