Some items we didn't really mention this week:
- The Jazz Journalists Association has relaunched its quarterly newsletter as an online news hub. JJA News is the site.
- Nate Chinen on 16-year-old jazz-pop sensation Nikki Yanofsky. Be sure to read his blog addendum, 'cause there's an complicated point buried in there worth reinforcing.
- Destination: Out features one of the rare Sun Ra sideman appearances, this one with vibraphonist Walt Dickerson. No, not Impressions of a Patch of Blue; the other one. Yes, there's another one.
- The annotated version of the new Fight The Big Bull record, All Is Gladness In The Kingdom.
- Jason Marsalis on bad modern jazz: accurate diagnosis, questionable prescription.
- Trumpeter Ian Carey replies to my reply to his reply to my ... oh, just read this. Also, Howard Reich on jazz institutions.
- Christopher Guest on jazz and music mockumentaries. H/T JazzTimes online.
- Teddy Bunn! At Jazz Lives.
- Jon Wikan: percussionist, home brewer.
- The Jazz Session this week interviews Dana Hall and Paul Pines.
- The Checkout this week features interviews and performances from recent music school graduates.
Some things we did mention:
And finally, other stuff on NPR Music: