Blogging has been light lately because of this: npr.org/bonnaroo. But we'll be back in full effect soon. Until then, enjoy some links:
- The Onion, pitch-perfect as usual.
- Bitches Brew is now actually a beer (and a Dogfish Head beer at that).
- The Periodic Table of Jazz. Really.
- Check out the travel blog of the Charlie Porter quartet, a group touring South Asia on the Rhythm Road program.
- When a flamboyant classical organist decides to eschew his recital, rent a Hammond B-3, and instead improvise on jazz standards, this is what you get.
- The Times breaks down June's many jazz happenings in New York.
- If you're interested in music journalism at all, you'll find some sage advice here — including tips from some jazz writers.
- Destination: Out does Lookout Farm (slightly NSFW?).
- JazzWax this week interviews trumpeter Dick Collins and French horn player David Amram (on Bobby Jaspar).
- The Jazz Session this week interviews Rufus Reid and Sunny Jain.
- The Checkout this week talks to Wayne Escoffery, Josh Sinton, Marcos Valle and musical power couple Bill Charlap and Renee Rosnes. Plus, host Josh Jackson brought Miguel Zenon's entire Esta Plena septet live on WBGO.
And here's a rundown of jazz at NPR Music this week: