Links we haven't yet revealed:
- On Jimmy Heath and his new autobiography.
- Gangsterism on CNN. (It's a Jason Moran feature — get it?)
- There are some delightful new additions to the Newport Jazz Festival recording archive at Wolfgang's Vault, including sets led by Max Roach, Oscar Peterson, J.J. Johnson and Dave Brubeck.
- Maria Schneider as prog-rock, now that prog is supposedly back. (Though to be fair, I think there's also prog in Ben Allison, Darcy James Argue, Steve Coleman, Pete Robbins, Marco Benevento, Andrew Hill, anyone who takes a long solo on "Blue Rondo a la Turk" ...)
- Artist Stephen Byram, responsible for the cover design behind many a JMT/Winter and Winter, Screwgun and Dave Douglas release, is profiled.
- In Chicago, Chopin without pianos, with accordion, harmonica, guitar, oud, trombone choir and jazz vocals. Neil Tesser, Howard Reich.
- Christian Scott and Trombone Shorty, considered together.
- Ahem: "smooth cruise."
- The Latin Jazz Corner interviews Chris Washburne.
- JazzWax features cartoon tunes.
- The Jazz Session talks to Bryan Murray and Charnett Moffett.
- The Checkout this week features Geri Allen, Nels Cline and Barry Harris.
- RIP: saxophonist Willem Breuker, trumpeter Harry Beckett and DJ Dick Buckley.
Links we've recycled:
Links to more jazz at NPR Music: