More links from this week:
- Sample Randy Weston's forthcoming album here. And get pumped for his upcoming autobiography. (I'm about halfway through, and It Is Fascinating.)
- Peter Hum features an important, if frustrating conversation about jazz higher education.
- Reverse blindfold test! George Colligan (musician) interviews Bill Milkowski (journalist).
- The new Perfect Sound Forever is out, featuring Mulatu Astatke, James Booker and Hamid Drake.
- Soul singer Bilal talks a little bit about his jazz roots on this The Sound of Young America interview.
- John Coltrane photo: in the Navy, age 18.
- Got $9 million? Buy David Sanborn's Upper West Side townhouse!
- RIP Buddy Morrow and Ed Wiley, Jr.
- The Latin Jazz Corner interviews Eddie Palmieri.
- Destination: Out has a Masabumi Kikuchi feature.
- JazzWax has a variety of new stuff up, including a feature on the CTI label, and some great quotations.
- The Jazz Session speaks with Darrell Katz and Howard Wiley.
- The Checkout this week features the JD Allen Trio recorded live in Denver, with special guests Ron Miles (cornet) and Henry Butler (piano).
Links we previously mentioned:
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Hear the Exclusive First Listen for the new Mary Halvorson quintet album, Saturn Sings.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week features the Nels Cline Singers (all of them) with guest host Jon Weber.
- JazzSet this week features the Jonathan Batiste band, a biggish and exciting group.
- Kevin Whitehead reviews the new tentet album from Dutch trombonist Joost Buis.