Inside The BPP

The Most, 05.08.08

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

Ok, this blog is great, and the show is good. Fun and different while being sarcastically informative. But one question - how do I comment on a story that was on the air, but isn't on the blog (yet)?

Sent by gvillebill | 11:29 AM | 5-8-2008

@gvillebill I'd go ahead and drop that comment right here.

Sent by Laura Conaway, NPR | 11:35 AM | 5-8-2008

I'm trying to find your story about 2 kinds of fat- reason being- I'm a patient with a rare disease- called Primary Immune Disease and I infuse plasma into my tummy/flanks every morning. I've always thought it was much easier going into flanks than tummy- and now I know why from listening to your story. My job is to work with physicians and patients on this S1/4utaneous method of infusion, and this article would be very helpful
(You've heard from me before- I'm the big fan of yours who is nearly 60- not your target market)

Sent by Carol | 11:43 AM | 5-8-2008

Ok, great - I have an issue with the story on electronic political markets, such as Intrade, that was aired on today's show. It is misguided to say that electronic markets are better than opinion polls at predicting who is going to win an election. The point of opinion polls is not to predict who will win an election, but to provide a snapshot of where the public stands at that moment. This is why they change as the campaign goes on - as voters gather information about the candidates, many of them change their mind, and this is reflected in changing poll numbers. To say that electronic markets do a better job of predicting who will win an election (or, as in the example used in the story, gain the Democratic nomination) is like saying that electronic markets do a better job of predicting election results than does the menu at Arby's. I like electronic markets and think they are great at predictions for all the reasons discussed in the story, but it is wrong and unfair to oversell them by making inappropriate comparisons to opinion polls.

Sent by gvillebill | 12:09 PM | 5-8-2008

Wait, am I crazy, maybe I dreamed it. I thought I checked the BPP set list this morning at home around 6:10 central. I thought the last thing on the list was an announcement of June's BPP book club book. Did I dream that? If I did.... that's weird...

Sent by Sarah Lee | 12:16 PM | 5-8-2008

@Sarah Lee,

Sorry about that. We had planned to reveal the book today, but ran out of time. We're going to reveal it tomorrow for sure. Thanks for your patience!

Sent by Tricia, NPR | 12:39 PM | 5-8-2008

I am concerned about the level of funding levels of NPR. I have gotten used to seeing the staff members who carry less personal insulation (ahem), bundled up in everything from sweaters to parkas. Now that the weather is warmer in New York I am noticing clothing styles in the studio more typical of summer. This seems to indicate a curious coupling between indoor weather and outdoor weather. Do the windows at BPP HQ close? Can the listeners chip in and buy you guys a heater? You suffer enough for us by getting up at all hours. I hate to think of you shivering and trying to deliver news at the same time. I also have a fear that studio temperatures will continue to rise and by August Mike Pesca will be down to a banana hammock. Nobody will profit from that.

Sent by Dave Wiley | 2:01 PM | 5-8-2008

Dave Wiley-
Most large business buildings heat and cool it using outside air. In my building during the winter I always wear a hoodie and sweater. Right now, 78 degree temps inside are fairly common plus it's kind of humid inside. I'm not sure if it's cheaper to heat and cool in this way but I imagine it is.

Sent by Sarah Lee | 3:20 PM | 5-8-2008

Carol -
The article can be found here:

Scientists find something good about a big bottom;_ylt=ArEg2MQDEf9uFLVLYfEf78wDW7oF

Sent by Janie P. | 5:42 PM | 5-8-2008