City Living

I Know Who's Not My City

Today Mike Pesca talked to Professor Richard Florida about his new book, "Who's Your City?" The basic premise of the book is that whatever choice you made to live where you live probably affected your fate more than any other decision you have ever made.

This being 2008, there's a nifty lil' website to go with the book, and it includes some fun interactives, like a "place finder" a quiz that helps you figure out where you should be living.

I took it and found out that I should NOT be living where I live. I'm going to take it again and see if I can do better, because I don't want to move!

Who's YOUR city?

Comments

It is a shame that KCPW-FM 88.3 in Salt Lake City now broadcasts only an abbreviated version of The Bryant Park Project from 5 AM to 6. We listeners are thus deprived of BPP's second hour and of the comments of Mike Pesca.

Mike Pesca is outstanding as the host of BPP. His interviews are scintillating and the very best. He asks intelligent questions and then, unlike those tyros Margaret Warner or Judy Woodruff, Pesca actually listens to his guest's answers before asking subsequent questions. He is the best talent among all of NPR's personalities.

So how come KCPW airs BPP only for one hour at that ungodly time of five in the morning? And why must KCPW insist that we public radio listeners suffer more dullness from Steve Inskeep and Renee Montaigne on NPR's Morning Edition?

I have a suggestion for KCPW - give us more Mike Pesca on BPP, less Inskeep and Montaigne. Public radio stations like collecting monies from listeners during pledge weeks but they do what they want at other times. I say no more money until KCPW restores BPP for its two full hours.
Roberto Antonio in Utah

Sent by Roberto Eder | 6:12 PM | 6-25-2008

Is this opposite day? Are you talking about Alien Mike Pesca?

Sent by Greg | 7:56 PM | 6-25-2008

Now that Mike Pesca has taken up the hosting duties I find myself listening regularly I have been an intermittent listener since the inception of the BPP, but haven't felt a true bond until Mike lent his particular brand of humor and intellect. Keep it up and I'll be hooked. Please don't digress to the "morning show" sans sound effects it was leading to be before Mike Pesca. Thank you for giving a Gen. X-er something to attach to.

Sent by Peter Schroeder | 8:25 PM | 6-25-2008

That is one of the coolest Web sites I have ever perused...I should move to Burlington...not Paris.

Sent by m.rawlins | 9:07 PM | 6-25-2008

NYC (Brooklyn) got a 68
Paris & Berkeley tied with 70
Brattleboro, VT got 42
Nashville, TN got 28

Sent by Lauren Spohrer | 10:40 PM | 6-25-2008

I never thought about it until now. But in moving halfway across the world, I've essentially moved to the same place that I grew up.
I grew up in the "Triangle Area" of North Carolina and lived there for a year and a half post-college. I lived in Durham (cheap) worked in Raleigh and partied in Chapel Hill.
Now I live in the Netherlands where I'm studying for my MA in International Relations. I study in Leiden (the personality of Raleigh), live in Delft (like one big Duke U) and work in Amsterdam (deliciously weird like Chapel Hill/ Carrboro)
No wonder I feel at home.
And, PS I rely on the BPP to feel connected to home, so keep up the general awesomeness.

Sent by Christina | 6:20 AM | 6-26-2008

New York and San Francisco got top billing for me. Staying in the Hague did pretty well. Berlin and Paris tanked.

I'm a little surprised by the results. Anyway, I'm not moving.

Sent by Nathan in Holland | 6:47 AM | 6-26-2008

Wow that place finder quiz requires a lot of research. I though you could just pick some cities you'd consider moving (Kyoto, Dublin) and you'd answer some general personality questions and the program would match you. Er... nope. Though with minimal research I found out that I should either stay in Omaha; move to Madison, WI (which is like Omaha only colder); and I'd be okay in Dublin. I shouldn't move to Kyoto, Japan or Bangor, Wales. Though Bangor does sound great like the place where I went to college.

Sent by Sarah Lee | 10:27 AM | 6-26-2008

As my wife is Kenyan, I'd pick Nairobi, but only in years that don't end in a presidential election. Otherwise, it's okay.

Sent by Matthew C. Scallon | 12:06 PM | 6-26-2008