NPR logo Name This Democratic Debacle

Name This Democratic Debacle

After Republicans lost the House and Senate in the 2006 midterm election, President Bush, at his post-election news conference, dubbed the hurt the Democrats put on Republicans "a thumpin."

A friend of mine, Naftali Bendavid, later used that as the title of his book about how Rahm Emanuel led Democrats to their soon-to-be erstwhile majority.

President Obama is scheduled to hold his post news conference at 1 pm Eastern Time. Will he come up with a colorful descriptive for tonight's expected but still dispiriting (for Democrats) losses?

If he doesn't, what should we call this? How about the whuppin'? Or the drubbin'? And is it really necessary to drop the "g" at the end?

Maybe it's the beatdown? It just seems in fairness, we should come up with a catchy name for this Democratic rout since turnabout is fair play. Feel free to leave your suggestions.



Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.