Cotton farm in Mississippi
Cotton farm in Mississippi
A few years ago, we made a Planet Money T-shirt, and followed it from cotton to finished product.
We traveled 20,000 miles, across three different continents.
This summer, we're replaying a few of our favorite stories from the project.
Today, we begin at the beginning: where the cotton in our shirt came from.
View our T-shirt's journey at planetmoney.com/shirt.
And listen to more of our T-shirt podcasts here.
Note: Today's show is a rerun. It originally ran in November 2013.
Music: Ray Rude's "Morning Run" and Common's "Cloth." Find us: Twitter/ Facebook/ Spotify/ Tumblr.
As we mentioned at the end of the podcast, we are giving away a few of the extra shirts we have laying around.
Planet Money 2015 T-Shirt Sweepstakes Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTES OF THE FIFTY UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, AGE 18 OR OVER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Sponsor. The Planet Money 2015 T-Shirt Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") is sponsored by National Public Radio, Inc. ("NPR"), a District of Columbia non-profit corporation with principal offices at 1111 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002.
2. Eligibility. The Sweepstakes is open to individuals who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry and are legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia. Void outside of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia, and where prohibited. Employees of NPR and its related organizations (including its member stations), their immediate family, or persons living in the same household are not eligible to enter.
3. How To Enter. To enter the Sweepstakes, e-mail email@example.com and include in the body of your e-mail: (i) your first and last name; (ii) your t-shirt size; and (iii) your t-shirt color preference. Individuals may enter the Sweepstakes only one time, and may not enter additional times by using multiple e-mail address, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent these rules. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to these rules may be disqualified at the sole discretion of NPR.
4. Sweepstakes Period. All submissions must be received between 6:00 p.m. E.S.T. on August 5, 2015 and 11:00 p.m. E.S.T. on August 31, 2015.
5. Winner Selection and Notification. On or around September 3, 2015, Planet Money staff will select forty (40) winning entries by random draw (each, a "Winner"). Each Winner will be notified via e-mail to the e-mail address that he or she used to enter the Sweepstakes within seven (7) days following the Winner selection. If a selected Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, or fails to claim a prize within ten (10) days from the time the winning notification was sent, then the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Any violation of these official rules by any Winner (at NPR's sole discretion) will result in such Winner's disqualification as a Winner of the Sweepstakes and all privileges as a Winner will be immediately terminated. Limit one (1) Winner per household.
6. Prizes. Forty (40) Winners will each receive a Planet Money t-shirt (each, a "Prize"), with retail value of $12.42. A very, very detailed cost breakdown of the Prize is available here. The specifics of each Prize will be solely determined by NPR. No cash or other Prize substitution permitted, except at NPR's discretion. The Prize is non-transferable. Winners will be responsible for any and all Prize-related expenses, including, without limitation, any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes.
7. Odds. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
8. Limitation of Liability. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless NPR and its affiliates, partners, member stations, and agents, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Sweepstakes, including without limitation claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting form participation in this Sweepstakes or acceptance or use of any Prize.
9. General Terms and Conditions. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to be bound by these official rules. NPR is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, misdirected, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, or processing of entries. All decisions by NPR are final and binding. This Sweepstakes is governed by the internal laws of the District of Columbia without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Sweepstakes must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the District of Columbia.