News Headlines

Track Star Marion Jones Admits Steroid Use

Marion Jones

Marion Jones, (right), competes against Me'Lisa Barber during the women's 100-meter at the IAAF Super Grand Prix in July 2006. Fabrice Coffrini, AFP/Getty Images hide caption

toggle caption Fabrice Coffrini, AFP/Getty Images

This from The Washington Post: "Track star Marion Jones has acknowledged using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney and plans to plead guilty tomorrow in New York to two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter, according to a letter Jones sent to close family and friends."

"I want to apologize for all of this," she said, according to the person reading the letter, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."

For her admission, Jones could be stripped of the five medals she won in Sydney — three gold and two bronze.

We'll have more on tomorrow's show, but in the meantime, tell us what you think.

Comments

It speaks volumes that I first got this news from a Swedish source...

Sent by Bill Smith | 8:47 PM | 10-4-2007

This must be the least surprising news of the week. Marion Jones was married to an olympic hopeful shortput athlete who tested positive for steroids. Afterwards, dated the once fastest man in the world in Tim Montgomery, who also tested positive for steriods and later banned from the sport. But nobody thought Jones was also using along with her significant others even if her physical specimen didn't give a hint? Please!

Sent by Moji | 9:23 AM | 10-5-2007

Despite her use of steroids, she should not be stripped of her medals. However, she should be banned from competition. Afterall, steroids or not, it took her hardwork to win the medal. You can go watch her races. Steroids or not, the amount of training put in is still phenomenal and she should keep the medal. http://www.snupped.com/marion-jones/

Sent by Matthew | 9:56 AM | 10-5-2007

Cheating is cheating no matter how you did it. She should have stood up and ran the races like the other athletes, but she did not and I do not feel sorry for her, I do forgive her for hurting many people, but there is no sympathy here.

Sent by bessinaw | 12:14 PM | 10-5-2007

I'm just sad and disappointed that there is such tremendous pressure to take the steroids. While some athlete use them to more certainly beat the others in the field, there are other athletes that feel like they can't compete without them.

Sent by Dawn Purcell | 12:54 PM | 10-5-2007

Damn! As a Black man it pains me to see yet another BIack role model publicly humiliated. Yes, wrong should be punished no doubt, but the media attention that will accompany this event will also end up punishing her fans and followers as well.

Sent by Anthony Stewart | 4:53 PM | 10-5-2007

I'm not surprised. I have always believe that Marion Jones was using steriods at the 2000 summer games in Sidney. But I also belive she is not the only one. There is, in my mind, one other track and field athlete that needs to come forward and face the consquences. His name is Carl Lewis.

Sent by marilyn mccormick | 5:50 PM | 10-5-2007

I believe that she made a very courageous statement by admiting her guilt and by using her pain and 'shame' to better use by teaching younger generations to not follow ( or run) in her footsteps. Trust me, there are few examples of people who sincerely admit their wrong doing. And at least her wrong actions haven't cost thousands of people their lives. Like our current King George W. has done.

Sent by LJ | 7:05 PM | 10-5-2007

It is truly apparent that all these allegations seemingly keep exposing more black athletes and it affects all athletes regardless of race. We are fully aware that this issue has definitely been in the athletic community for many years now and the question we all should be asking... is why are trainers giving these young athletes these drugs? Secondly, why not feel sorry for them? I commend those who are strong enough to come forward. Society should be ashamed of them self???s for condemning the ones who speak out. We are foolish enough to keep supporting the ones who will never confess and guess what society would rather live with that. Just imagine if they all took drugs and never spoke up, would we be having this discussion right now?

Sent by Neana | 7:10 PM | 10-5-2007

It is truly apparent that all these allegations seemingly keep exposing more athletes and it certainly does affect all athletes regardless of race/gender, however what happened to humanity that we are allowing ourselves to be driven to these extremes?
Sent by Janie Marquez-Villa/10/05/07

Sent by Janie Marquez-Villa | 7:27 PM | 10-5-2007

shes not the only one an probably wont be the last

Sent by doris | 8:14 PM | 10-5-2007

I'm very sad at what's going in the lives of our athletes. what we do insecret always come forth in the public sooner or later. now that the truth has came forth and you amitt your wrong and yes their now is a price too pay. My sister you still can conquer. You are LOVED MY THE ALMGHTY GOD. HE will not turn His back on you even when you fall HE will pick you up. Love you, YOU do have others praying for you.

Sent by lucy | 8:24 PM | 10-5-2007

I have no sympathy for her. She should give up her metals. I do not care how hard she trained but the use of steriods bought about all of those metals she won. She flat out lied to the public that she was not using steroids. Now that her secret has been revealed she is now asking for forgiveness. She is a liar and a cheat.

Sent by LaVonia | 5:59 AM | 10-6-2007

Their is not one person in this world who has never made a mistake and wish they could take it back. Therefore we need to support our brothers and sisters at times like this instead of adding to their shame, hurt and embarassment. God is a forgiving and we need to be a forgiving people.

Sent by K.Munson | 10:49 AM | 10-6-2007

shes a cheater period..

Sent by lee | 11:58 AM | 10-12-2007

I raced Marion all through high school and in college. I thought that she was an excellent athlete but I was truly disappointed when I seen that my suspicions were true. Anyone that loves track and field could figure out that after the competition in the Olympics that her performance in the races after then were very sloppy if not unprofessional. She dropped out of races and lost terribly to competitions. I can't help but wonder what would have been. Not only did her life change but i wonder if our would have if she never had used the drug.

Sent by Nicole | 11:03 PM | 10-15-2007