Haitian Interior Minister Warns Death Toll May Approach 200,000

The devastation in Haiti from Tuesday's earthquake is so massive and so tragic it's almost impossible to get your mind around.

News like this just adds to the difficulty:

"We have already collected around 50,000 dead bodies," the Interior minister, Paul Antoine Bien-Aime, told Reuters. "We anticipate there will be between 100,000 and 200,000 dead in total, although we will never know the exact number."

If the casualty figures turn out to be accurate the quake will be one of the 10 deadliest ever recorded. About 40,000 bodies have so far been buried in mass graves, said the secretary of state for Public Safety, Aramick Louis.

(The Guardian.)

For more of NPR's coverage of the crisis in Haiti, click here.

If you're looking for information on charities doing work in Haiti, click here.



Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

NPR thanks our sponsors

Become an NPR sponsor

Support comes from