NPR logo UVA Laxer Charged With Murder Had Prior Police Run-In

UVA Laxer Charged With Murder Had Prior Police Run-In

Yeardley Love. AP Photo/Media Relations University of Virginia hide caption

toggle caption
AP Photo/Media Relations University of Virginia

A disturbing picture is emerging of the University of Virginia lacrosse player now in a Charlottesville, Va. jail for allegedly murdering his ex-girlfriend, Yeardley Love, another U. of V. lacrosse player who was due to graduate in only days.

The Washington Post reports that George Huguely, 22, was involved in a troubling encounter with a police woman in Lexington, Va., another college town, two years ago in which she had to eventually Taser him to gain control of the young man who was intoxicated, verbally abusive and threatening.

An excerpt:

The Chevy Chase lacrosse star has had a previous run-in with the law. In an interview Tuesday, Lexington police Patrolwoman R.L. Moff said she responded to a 911 call in 2008 and found Huguely stumbling into traffic. He told her he was visiting some friends at a frat party. She asked if anyone could come pick him up so that he could avoid going to jail, according to Moff.

"He said: 'I'll kill you. I'll kill all of y'all. I'm not going to jail,' " Moff recalled Huguely saying, in a diatribe laced with racial, sexual and otherwise vulgar terms.

Moff said Huguely then became combative and fought with her for "three or four minutes." She said she Tasered him, then placed him in handcuffs. The Taser "incapacitated him long enough for me to get cuffs on him," Moff said. "But that just pissed him off even more. He became a lot more aggressive."

Moff said Huguely continued to use expletives as she walked him to her patrol car. In court that night, she said, he did not recall he had been Tasered.

Huguely pleaded guilty to resisting arrest and public swearing/intoxication. He received a 60-day suspended sentence, six months supervised probation, a fine, and was ordered to complete 50 hours of community service and substance abuse screening. According to a Rockbridge County court clerk, he completed all of the requirements.

George Huguely. AP Photo/ Charlottsville Police Department hide caption

toggle caption
AP Photo/ Charlottsville Police Department

Huguely appeared by closed circuit video before a judge on Tuesday in a case which is likely to get more national attention than most murder trials because of the unusual facts — varsity athletes and former prep schoolers who played on highly ranked teams at the same prestigious public university, teams both competing for national championships.

In an affidavit, an investigating officer said Huguely admitted to police that he entered the house where Love lived and broke into her bedroom. According to the document, he also admitted to an altercation with Love in which he shook her and her head "repeatedly hit the wall." Love's body was found Monday by a housemate.

One of Huguely's defense lawyers said Tuesday that Love's death was an "accident with a tragic outcome," according to the Charlottesville Daily Progress which obtained the affidavits.

But another Daily Progress story reported Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo as saying his detectives were investigating reports that Love received death threats. The story doesn't say who the threats were from but continues to report:

"Part of what we'll be gathering in our discussions with friends and family is the extent to which [threats] took place and the context in which that took place," Longo said.

He added, "It's trying to corroborate them through as many sources as we can."

Huguely told an officer that he had communicated with Love by e-mail, according to an affidavit. Huguely said he took Love's computer from her residence and disposed of it, the affidavit states.

He later provided the location of the computer, according to the document, and investigators recovered it.

The emergence of these alleged threats is significant. Huguely has been charged with first-degree murder which in Virginia requires premeditation. Such threats, if proven, could be used to help persuade a jury that the killing was premeditated.