Gingrich announced he was suspending his campaign on May 2, 2012.
- Hide captionNewt Gingrich pauses while announcing that he is suspending his presidential campaign, Wednesday, May 2, in Arlington, Va.Evan Vucci/AP
- Hide captionGingrich on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., on May 11, 2011, the day he announced his candidacy via Twitter.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- Hide captionAt the Iowa State Fair, Gingrich talks to voters from the Des Moines Register's soapbox on Aug. 12, 2011, in Des Moines, Iowa.Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- Hide captionAt the Fox News/Google GOP debate on Sept. 22, 2011, in Orlando, Fla., Gingrich makes a point as Rick Santorum looks on.Phelan M. Ebenhack/Getty Images
- Hide captionGingrich speaks at a town hall meeting hosted by the Tea Party of Staten Island on Dec. 3, 2011, in New York City.Michael Nagle/Getty Images
- Hide captionWith his wife, Callista, Gingrich speaks at Adams Street Espresso on Dec. 30, 2011, in Creston, Iowa.Andrew Burton/Getty Images
- Hide captionVolunteer Ken Brolin canvasses voters from Gingrich's Des Moines headquarters. Gingrich finished fourth in the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses.Andrew Burton/Getty Images
- Hide captionGingrich speaks during a victory rally on Jan. 21 in Columbia, S.C., after winning the South Carolina primary.Mark Wilson/Getty Images
- Hide captionIn Las Vegas on Feb. 4, Gingrich holds a press conference after finishing second to Mitt Romney in the Nevada caucuses.Stan Honda/AFP/Getty Images
- Hide captionMitt Romney and Gingrich stand for the national anthem at the Feb. 22 Republican presidential debate in Mesa, Ariz.Ross D. Franklin/AP
- Hide captionGingrich speaks at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., on March 28, a day after the campaign cut a third of its staff.Win McNamee/Getty Images
What to say about Newt Gingrich that Newt Gingrich hasn't already said about Newt Gingrich? As the former House speaker formally leaves the Republican presidential race, a look back at his long, costly and quixotic campaign.
May 1, 2012 He's giving supporters "an insider advanced notice that on Wednesday I'll be officially suspending the campaign." And he's using the message to say, again, that reelecting President Obama "would be a genuine disaster."
April 25, 2012 Newt Gingrich has experienced a long slide since March 6, when he won Georgia's Republican primary. It was his second and final victory of the campaign season, but Gingrich fought to stay in the race through a Southern strategy that never caught on.
April 25, 2012 Sources are telling media outlets that the former House speaker will soon exit the campaign and that it's highly likely he will endorse Mitt Romney.
April 24, 2012 WNYCRepublican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich is more than $4 million in debt, but he keeps campaigning, despite having no chance of seizing the GOP nomination from Mitt Romney. Some critics say Gingrich's dogged refusal to leave the race could seriously damage his political brand.
April 17, 2012 Backers of Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich have been asked to pay $50 for a photo with the former House speaker. And on Tuesday, Gingrich supporters received an email with a discount offer from LifeLock — the identity theft protection company.
March 29, 2012 Sheldon Adelson, who along with his wife has used a superPAC to give Newt Gingrich $15 million of support, says the former House speaker can't get enough delegates to be the nominee. Meanwhile, Gingrich and Mitt Romney met secretly on Saturday.
March 28, 2012 The GOP presidential contender is mounting a "big-choice convention strategy" that banks on Mitt Romney not having enough delegates to be the nominee on the first ballot. Gingrich would then try to convince Republicans that he should be the nominee.
March 14, 2012 To hear Rick Tyler of the pro-Gingrich superPAC tell it, Gingrich is sitting in the catbird seat. All he needs to do is wait for the Republican National Convention in Tampa to roll around in August with none of the candidates having the 1,144 delegates required for the nomination.