Oscars 2012: The 84th Academy Awards
- Hide captionDirector Michel Hazanavicius (from left), who won Best Director for the black-and-white silent film "The Artist," poses with stars of the film Berenice Bejo and Jean Dujardin, who won Best Actor.Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
- Hide captionJean Dujardin's Oscar for Best Actor was one of five for "The Artist." It also won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Score and Best Costume Design.Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images
- Hide captionMeryl Streep's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady" earned her the Oscar for Best Actress. It was Streep's third win and her 17th nomination.Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Hide captionOctavia Spencer tearfully accepts the award for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Minny Jackson, a housemaid in 1960s Mississippi, in the film adaptation of Kathryn Stockett's "The Help".Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Hide captionBest Supporting Actor Christopher Plummer, 82, became the oldest Academy Award winner in an acting category in the awards' 84th year. He plays an elderly widower who comes out of the closet in "Beginners."Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Hide captionComedian Billy Crystal opened the 84th Annual Academy Awards with a musical medley introducing the Best Picture nominees. It was Crystal's ninth time hosting the Oscars.Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Hide captionPresenters Jennifer Lopez (left) and Cameron Diaz present the awards for Best Costume (Mark Bridges, "The Artist") and Best MakeupMark Coulier and J. Roy Helland, "The Iron Lady." (Kevin Winter/Getty Images
- Hide captionIn an airborne homage to movie-making, Cirque du Soleil performers flew and flipped for the audience assembled at the Hollywood & Highland Center.Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images
- Hide captionBeloved "Muppets" stars Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy banter during the awards ceremony. "Man or Muppet" won Bret McKenzie the Oscar for Best Original Song.Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images
The Artist and Hugo — two movies about movies — were the two big winners at Sunday night's Oscars. The show itself? Well, with Billy Crystal hosting and a raft of tame reminders about the magic of movies, "cautious" might be the best word.
The Artist won best picture, plus trophies for star Jean Dujardin and director Michel Hazanavicius.
February 26, 2012 Photos from the 84th Annual Academy Awards Red Carpet.
February 27, 2012 The red carpet looks are almost as exciting as (sometimes more exciting than) the Academy Awards ceremony. Let's dish on some of our favorite and not-so-favorite frocks.
February 25, 2012 Sunday night is Oscar night, and we'll be here for the whole thing.
February 24, 2012 Life is a collection of "extraordinarily ordinary moments," says the Academy Award-winning director, if only people would "wake up and pay attention to how beautiful it all is." Payne's latest film, The Descendants, puts the power of everyday moments to use, and is nominated for five Oscars.
February 23, 2012 Director Wim Wenders' documentary tribute to German choreographer Pina Bausch is nominated for an Academy Award. When Wenders and Bausch met more than 20 years ago, they started planning a film that would capture her unique style of modern dance. Bausch died suddenly just days before filming started.
February 23, 2012 Commentator Andrew Lapin says it's fine to enjoy Oscar frontrunner The Artist, but it's actually not as bold an exploration of the possibilities of silent film as some other efforts that have gotten less attention.
February 23, 2012 Filmmakers rely on private screening rooms to show their unfinished films to invite-only audiences. NPR's Susan Stamberg visits one screening room on Rodeo Drive, run by 97-year-old Charles Aidikoff and his grandson Josh. Four generations of Aidikoffs have worked in the projection business.