A depiction of Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria that create a deadly toxin. The preformed toxin can be found in home-canned foods and some retail products, such as canned cheese, chili sauces and oil infused with garlic.
A slew of Yelp reviewers said they got sick after eating at Mariscos San Juan #3 restaurant in San Jose, Calif. The county health department quickly closed the restaurant and identified an outbreak involving more than 80 cases of food poisoning.
Courtesy of Giovanna Rojas
A health inspection grade is posted outside a Manhattan eatery. In several cities, Yelp users can now find out how a restaurant scored on its health inspection well before they walk through the door.
Mario Tama/Getty Images
Beware of the big guys: Red snappers from tropical waters sometimes accumulate high levels of the toxin that causes ciguatera. Go for the smaller fish to avoid it.
Don't blame the braised eggplant. Two people reportedly poisoned a Beijing restaurant's eggplant dishes, similar to the one shown here, in an attempt to boost the business of a rival eatery.