Sun, Dog's Glass Water Bowl Start Fire

Fire officials in Bellevue, Wash., are blaming a dog's water bowl for starting a fire that caused more than $200,000 worth of damage. The glass bowl was on the wooden deck of a home. When the sun hit the water, it acted like a magnifying glass. The deck and then the back of a house went up in smoke.

Copyright © 2009 NPR. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

RENEE MONTAGNE, host:

Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne with news of a fire started by water.

Fire officials in Bellevue, Washington are blaming a dog's glass water bowl for starting a fire that caused over $200,000 worth of damage to his home. The bowl was on the wooden deck of the home and when the sun hit the water, it acted like a magnifying glass. The deck and then the back of a house went up in smoke. The homeowners weren't home, but the dog, well, it was rescued.

Copyright © 2009 NPR. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to NPR. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.

Related NPR Stories

Comments

 

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the NPR.org Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.