Judges' Note: We like how the puff pastry in this recipe is placed on the grill to be warmed and gather a bit of grill flavor. A firm apple would be the best choice for this dessert.
Patrick De Oliveira/NPR
Sweet apple and bacon puffs with pomegranate glaze from Chrystal Baker and Amir Thomas.
Sweet apple and bacon puffs with pomegranate glaze from Chrystal Baker and Amir Thomas. Patrick De Oliveira/NPR
- 2 medium apples, cut into eighths
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces gorgonzola
- 8 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1/2 package puff pastry, thawed
- Toothpicks, soaked in water
Serves 6 to 8.
1. Roll out puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, slice into 16 rectangles. Place on a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake according to package directions in a preheated oven. Remove from oven and pop a hole into the top of each one with your finger. Set aside.
2. As puff pastry bakes, place the butter in a saucepan over medium flame. Once hot, add apples and all of the spices, brown sugar and salt. Stir well and cook until apples just begin to soften, approximately 4 to 6 minutes. Remove apples, leaving the spice and sugar mix in the saucepan, and place into a separate container to cool slightly.
3. Pour pomegranate juice directly into the spiced sugar that was just used to flavor the apples. Stir well, turn heat to medium high and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until the glaze is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
4. While glaze reduces, spread bacon strips on a flat surface. Top each one with an apple slice and a bit of gorgonzola. Wrap bacon tightly around apple and cheese, pinning it closed with a toothpick.
5. On a preheated grill, place bacon-wrapped apples directly on the grill and cover with the lid. Grill, turning when necessary, until bacon is done, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. As apple-bacon parcels finish cooking, lay puff pastry pieces onto the grill, cover again and allow to heat until warm. Top each puff pastry with the apple bacon, remove toothpicks and serve drizzled with pomegranate glaze.