* Director and Co-producer, PBS series School: The Story of American Public Education
* Professor of Education and History, Stanford University
* Advisor, PBS series School: The Story of American Public Education
* Contributing Writer, School: The Story of American Public Education (PBS series companion book)
* Professor of History, New York University
* Author, Left Back: A Century of Battles Over School Reform
* Professor and Head of the Department of Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
The orginal purpose of public education was to prepare students to become good citizens. But since the beginning, parents, teachers and administrators often have been in conflict about how best to ensure that every child receives a good education. Guest host Steve Inskeep talks with the producers of a new documentary series about the turbulent history of America's schools and ask what is public education for?