* Former Director, Adlai Stevenson Program on Nuclear Policy
* University of California Santa Cruz
* Committee to Bridge the Gap
* Los Angeles, California
* Member, Security Working Group
* Nuclear Energy Institute
* Director of Security
* Nuclear Management Company
* Hudson, Wisconsin
* Senior Scholar
* Institute for Policy Studies
* Washington, DC
Right after the September eleventh attacks, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission advised all nuclear power plants to go to the highest level of security. Some experts say existing security measures aren't sufficient to prevent a terrorist attack, but the NRC says physical protection at the country's one hundred and three nuclear power plants is very strong. In this hour, we'll discuss nuclear security, including the security of used fuel rods.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.