* Charge D'Affaires, Embassy of Afghanistan
* Executive Vice President, Mercy Corps International (relief and development organization)
* Foreign Policy Analyst, Cato Institute
* US Ambassador to Pakistan (since August 2001)
* Senior Fellow, Foreign Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution
* Co-Author, Brasstacks and Beyond: Perception and Management of Crisis in South Asia (University of Illinois at Urbana Press, 1995)
President Bush has called for a "Marshall Plan" for Afghanistan, and has committed the US to an international effort to rebuild the devastated country. Are these the right things to do? The US role in the future of Afghanistan — plus the future of democracy in Pakistan.