* Researcher, Cancer Research UK Epidemiology Unit
* The Radcliffe Infirmary
* Oxford, United Kingdom
* Author, Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements (Oxford, 2002)
* Science Writer in Residence, Cambridge University
* London, United Kingdom
* Senior Scientist Emeritus, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
* Co-discoverer of at least 12 elements (95-106, perhaps 110)
* Co-Founder, Wolfram Research
* Element Collector, Creator of the Wooden Periodic Table
* Urbana, Illinois
You might remember the periodic table from high school chemistry, but how about building one? In this hour, we'll take a tour of the chemical elements, from antimony to zinc. We'll talk about where elements come from, how new elements are discovered, and the role that different elements play in everyday life. Plus, the latest breast cancer news.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.