The Los Angeles County coroner's office is still investigating what caused the death of rap star Kanye West's mother, Donda West, after a cosmetic surgery procedure.
Dr. Brian Evans, a plastic surgeon with the Cosmetic Physicians of Beverly Hills, offers advice and warnings for those thinking about going under the knife.
He says the following questions should be considered:
- Does (s)he have experience in the procedure of interest?
- How long has (s)he been in practice?
- Is (s)he certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Is (s)he recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialists?
- Does the doctor have before and after pictures? Does (s)he have any examples of complications that can occur?
- Is the doctor on staff at any of the main hospitals in the area and have admitting privileges?
- What are the risks of the procedure?
- How long will the recovery be?
- Will you need blood work, an EKG, a chest X-ray or a stress test before the procedure?
- Will you need assistance after surgery? An after-care facility?
- As a smoker, diabetic, or obese person, are you at a greater risk for surgery?