Detail: 'Gladstone's Games to Go' Cover
NPR's Scott Simon talks with Jim Gladstone, author of Gladstone's Games to Go: Verbal Volleys, Coin Contests, Dot Duels, and Other Games for Boredom-Free Days.
The handy paperback collects games and puzzles that require no equipment beyond some loose change and a pen or pencil — perfect for the gang in the back seat on a long summer holiday road trip.
And to guarantee a boredom-free day on your next road trip, Gladstone has provided some rhyming riddles to keep the kids guessing. A "hink pink" rhymes two one-syllable words; a "hinky pinky" rhymes two-syllable words, and so forth.
- A test tube of happiness is a... SMILE VIAL
- An obese Siamese is a... FAT CAT
- A wren with acid reflux is a... G.E.R.D. BIRD
- A carton of smoked fish is a... LOX BOX
- The President's behind is the... BUSH TUSH
- Dark blue chicken drippings are... NAVY GRAVY
- A cassaba thief is a... MELON FELON
- A deluge of dahlias is a... FLOWER SHOWER
- Conversation about baking — or baseball — is... BATTER CHATTER
- Eau de Balboa is... STALLONE COLOGNE
- A candy jar lock is... CONFECTION PROTECTION
- A pachyderm that makes a difference is a... RELEVANT ELEPHANT
- The National Union of Washer-Driers is an... APPLIANCE ALLIANCE
- A buffet divider is a... NUTRITION PARTITION