Detail from the cover of Brian Wilson's Smile.
Music critic Ken Tucker gives us his top picks in pop for 2004. He runs down his 10 best albums, and then talks about some trends of 2004, such as the return of punk, the year of the hip-hop producer, crunk music, and the potential end of an era as iPods and single song downloads replace album purchases. Ken Tucker is also a film critic for New York magazine.
Detail from the cover of Peace Love Death Metal, by Eagles of Death Metal.
His 2004 list in full:
1. Eagles of Death Metal, Peace Love Death Metal (AntAcidAudio)
2. Brian Wilson Presents: Smile (Nonesuch)
3. The Black Keys, Rubber Factory (Epitaph)
4. Green Day American Idiot (Reprise)
5. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Shake the Sheets (Lookout!)
6. Nellie McKay, Get Away From Me (Columbia)
7. Ludacris, Red Light District (Def Jam South)
8. Tegan and Sara, So Jealous (Sanctuary/Vapor)
9. Aberfeldy, Young Forever (Rough Trade)
10. Jolie Holland, Escondida (Anti)