Man's Clothes Spark Evacuation

  • Playlist
  • Download
  • Embed
    <iframe src="" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">

Talk about power dressing: In Australia, one man's shirt and jacket built up so much static electricity they set a carpet on fire forcing a building to be evacuated. Frank Clewer's wool shirt and nylon jacket rubbed together as he walked. When he reached his car, his jacket scorched some plastic. Firefighters said the clothes had a current of 40,000 volts, and they took the jacket to the fire station for safe keeping.



Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

NPR thanks our sponsors

Become an NPR sponsor

Support comes from