Brennan Linsley/AFP/Getty Images
The United States military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been holding hundreds of prisoners from the invasion of Afghanistan and the war on terror since 2002.
The United States military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been holding hundreds of prisoners from the invasion of Afghanistan and the war on terror since 2002. Brennan Linsley/AFP/Getty Images
Since 2002, the United States military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been holding prisoners from the invasion of Afghanistan and the war on terrorism.
There are 459 prisoners remaining at Guantanamo; 315 have either been transferred to the custody of their home governments or released.
Most detainees — held for more than four years, most held without charge — are from Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Afghanistan.
Ten have been charged, but their trials are on hold while Congress decides what rules they should be tried under.
An additional 120 detainees have been determined either not to be enemy combatants or to no longer be threats to the United States and its allies. However, they are still being held at Guantanamo because the United States fears they may be persecuted upon their return home; the United States can't get guarantee that they won't be released once they're returned home; or their home governments don't want them.
The United States has built one hard-walled prison (unlike the chain-link cells that have been used for about three years), called Camp 5, which holds the "worst of the worst" detainees at Guantanamo. Camp 5, which can hold up to 100 prisoners, is about half full. The military is building another hard-walled prison called, Camp 6, with a capacity of 200 detainees.
The U.S. military is also expanding an existing prison in Afghanistan, called Pol-e-charki. When it is completed in early 2007, scores of Afghan prisoners at Guantanamo will be moved there.
Source: Defense Department
U.S. Defense Department
This image of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, was released shortly after his capture in March 2003. President Bush announced that Mohammed is among 14 high-profile terrorism suspects transferred to Guantanamo for trial.
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush on Wednesday acknowledged the existence of previously secret CIA prisons around the world and said 14 high-value terrorism suspects — including the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks — have been transferred from the system to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for trials.
He said the "small number" of detainees that have been kept in CIA custody include people responsible for the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000 in Yemen and the 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, in addition to the 2001 attacks.
"The most important source of information on where the terrorists are hiding and what they are planning is the terrorists themselves," Bush said in a White House speech with families of those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks making up part of the audience. "It has been necessary to move these individuals to an environment where they can be held in secret, questioned by experts and, when appropriate, prosecuted for terrorist acts."
The announcement from Bush is the first time the administration has acknowledged the existence of CIA prisons, which have been a source of friction between Washington and some allies in Europe. The administration has come under criticism for its treatment of terrorism detainees. European Union lawmakers said the CIA was conducting clandestine flights in Europe to take terror suspects to countries where they could face torture.
Bush said the CIA program has involved such suspected terrorists as Khalid Sheik Mohammed, believed to be the No. 3 al-Qaida leader before he was captured in Pakistan in 2003; Ramzi Binalshibh, an alleged would-be Sept. 11, 2001, hijacker; Abu Zubaydah, who was believed to be a link between Osama bin Laden and many al-Qaida cells before he was also captured in Pakistan, in March 2002.
The list also includes Riduan Isamuddin, known additionally as Hambali, who was suspected of being Jemaah Islamiyah's main link to al-Qaida and the mastermind of a string of deadly bomb attacks in Indonesia until his 2003 arrest in Thailand.
Defending the program, the president said the questioning of these detainees has provided critical intelligence information about terrorist activities that have enabled officials to prevent attacks not only in the United States, but Europe and other countries. He said the program has been reviewed by administration lawyers and been the subject of strict oversight from within the CIA.
Bush would not detail the type of interrogation techniques that are used through the program, saying they are tough but do not constitute torture.
"This program has helped us to take potential mass murderers off the streets before they have a chance to kill," the president said. "It is invaluable to America and our allies."
The president's announcement, which the White House touted beforehand and asked to be televised live on the networks, comes as Bush has sought with a series of speeches to sharpen the focus on national security two months before high-stakes congressional elections.
The president successfully emphasized the war on terror in his re-election campaign in 2004 and is trying to make it a winning issue again for Republicans this year.
The president said the 14 key terrorist leaders, including Mohammed, Binalshibh, and Zubaydah, that have been transferred to the U.S. military-run prison at Guantanamo Bay would be afforded some legal protections consistent with the Geneva conventions.
"They will continue to be treated with the humanity that they denied others," Bush said.
Bush also laid out his proposal for how trials of such key suspected terrorists - those transferred to Guantanamo and already there - should be conducted, which must be approved by Congress. Bush's original plan for the type of military trials used in the aftermath of World War II was struck down in June by the Supreme Court, which said the tribunals would violate U.S. and international law.
Aides said the legislation being introduced on Bush's behalf later Wednesday on Capitol Hill insists on provisions covering military tribunals that would permit evidence to be withheld from a defendant if necessary to protect classified information.