- Have your furnace serviced.
- Replace the filters on your heat pump every one to two months.
- Get an automatic thermostat to lower the heat when you aren't home.
- Use a timer to automatically turn off your Christmas lights.
- Set your thermostat between 68 and 70 degrees to save on your energy bill.
- A warm shower uses less hot water than a warm bath.
As the weather cools, consumers may face higher heating bills.
Madeleine Brand talks to Day to Day's regular personal finance commentator Michelle Singletary about simple ways to cut down on heating costs.