Smoke Break Turns Out to Be Lifesaver
DEBORAH AMOS, host:
Good morning, I'm Deborah Amos.
Smoking is known for causing cancer, not saving lives. But it was just the opposite for one South Carolina woman. Brenda Comer was washing dishes in her kitchen this week when she decided to go outside for a cigarette. She turned around to see an 80-foot oak tree crashing through her roof. It landed across the kitchen sink, where she had been standing just seconds earlier. No word if Brenda plans now to quit smoking.
It's MORNING EDITION.
NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.