Court In China Rejects Earthquake Lawsuit

A court in southwest China has rejected a lawsuit brought by the parents of schoolchildren who died in the May 12 earthquake in Sichuan province. The suit alleged corruption and negligence in the collapse of a school where 129 children died.

Copyright © 2008 NPR. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

ROBERT SIEGEL, host:

A court in China's Sichuan province has refused to hear a lawsuit brought against local officials by the parents of school children who were killed in the May 12th earthquake. The children were among 88,000 people who died or went missing in the magnitude 7.9 quake. NPR's Anthony Kuhn reports from Beijing.

ANTHONY KUHN: On December 1st, a group of about 60 parents filed a lawsuit at a municipal court in Deyang City. The lawsuit alleges corruption and negligence on the part of the Fuxin town government, the education department, and a construction company, all of which, parents say, led to the collapse of the Fuxin No. 2 primary school. The government says that 129 children were killed in the school's collapse. The parents want an official apology and compensation. But today, parents' representatives told the Associated Press that the court refused to hear the case.

As recently as September, Chinese government experts have verbally acknowledged that shoddy construction, including the use of unreinforced concrete beams, led to the collapse of many schools in the quake zone, but no official results from the experts' investigation have been made public so far. The rejection today of the lawsuit is another signal that local governments are determined to block any avenues of legal recourse for the bereaved parents. Some parents say that officials have threatened and cajoled them into signing documents accepting compensation. The documents also stated that the earthquake was a natural disaster, thereby absolving the government of any responsibility in the school children's deaths. Police have detained other parents and warned them against speaking to reporters about their cases. The Chinese media have been barred from reporting on the school issue and have instead focused on government rebuilding efforts. Anthony Kuhn, NPR News Beijing.

Copyright © 2008 NPR. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to NPR. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.

Comments

 

Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the NPR.org Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.