NPR logo
Get A Social Security Check? Treasury Says It's Time To Go Electronic
  • Download
  • <iframe src="" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player">
  • Transcript
Get A Social Security Check? Treasury Says It's Time To Go Electronic



Now to something that seems downright ancient after that story: paying someone with a paper check. The government still sends out about five million paper checks a month to Americans who receive Social Security benefits. Most people on Social Security do get their benefits electronically deposited into their bank accounts. And as of March 1st, the Treasury Department hopes to leave paper checks in the past, once and for all. Here's NPR's Brian Naylor.

BRIAN NAYLOR, BYLINE: Since May of 2011, all new Social Security recipients have had no choice but to get direct deposit of their benefits. And some 93 percent now do. But there are still holdouts, so the Treasury Department has a campaign and a website called in an effort to convince the remaining 7 percent.


UNIDENTIFIED MAN: The following is an important message from the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN: Do you or a loved one get federal benefit payments by a paper check? By March 1st, 2013, you're required to switch to electronic payment.

NAYLOR: The Treasury is prodding people to switch for one big reason: cost. Treasury spokesman Walt Henderson says the government will save a billion dollars over 10 years by not having to print paper checks.

WALT HENDERSON: It costs us about a little over a dollar to issue a paper check. It costs us 10 cents for an electronic payment. So, again, there are significant savings.

NAYLOR: The government wants all benefit recipients to switch to electronic payments, including those who get Social Security, veterans benefits and federal employee retirement checks. Folks who don't will still get their checks, but also some personalized attention from Treasury, says Henderson.

HENDERSON: We won't interrupt the payment. We want to see, you know, how many people comply and reach out to people in a more direct way through the mail and see if we can assist them in complying with the requirement.

NAYLOR: As an alternative to direct deposit, recipients can also get debit cards, although there are fees. AARP, the senior lobby, has another worry: scams. Cristina Martin Firvida is AARP's director of financial security.

CRISTINA MARTIN FIRVIDA: We're very concerned about fraud. Now, to be fair, fraud is a problem, whether you have a paper check or whether you have direct deposit or a debit card. Changing from a check to debit card merely changes the schemes for the fraud.

NAYLOR: Firvida says AARP is in talks with the Treasury Department over how to increase safety for debit cards. The department says debit cards and direct deposit are actually more secure than paper checks, which get stolen and fraudulently endorsed. Brian Naylor, NPR News, Washington.


MONTAGNE: You're listening to MORNING EDITION from NPR News.

Copyright © 2013 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by Verb8tm, Inc., an NPR contractor, and produced using a proprietary transcription process developed with NPR. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.



Please keep your community civil. All comments must follow the Community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated prior to posting. NPR reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part, and to use the commenter's name and location, in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.