Violence In The Name Of Honor: North America Honor killings have been reported in both the United States and Canada.

Violence In The Name Of Honor: North America

Although most of the honor killings and related violence to date have been concentrated in the Middle East and South Asia, a few prominent cases have been reported in the U.S. and Canada. Below are four pending cases.

Henrietta, N.Y.

In July 2008, Afghan refugee Waheed Allah Mohammad, 22, pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree murder and first-degree assault. He admitted that he stabbed his 19-year-old sister, Fauzia A. Mohammad, several times during an argument that began when she tried to leave her family. Waheed called his sister a "bad Muslim girl" after her friend had arrived to drive her to New York City, where Fauzia intended to get a job and start a new life.

Lewisville, Texas

On New Year's Day 2008, the Irving Police Department received a 911 call from Sarah Said, 17, saying that her father had shot her and that she was dying. Later, the police found the bullet-riddled bodies of Said and her sister Amina, 18, in the back of a taxi. An arrest warrant was immediately issued for the girls' father, Yaser Abdul Said, who remains at large today. He has been accused of murdering his two daughters because they had non-Muslim boyfriends.

Scottsville, N.Y.

In April 2004, Ismail Peltek, a Turkish immigrant, was charged with second degree murder in the slaying of his wife, Hatice Peltek, 39. He stabbed her repeatedly and struck her head with a hammer. Ismail later claimed he attacked his wife and 22-year-old daughter after discovering his brother had sexually molested them. He also admitted to attacking his 4-year-old daughter because she had undergone a gynecological exam after the alleged molestation was reported. The case has still not gone to trial.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

In December 2007, Aqsa Parvez, 16, was strangled in her Mississauga, Ontario home by her Pakistani father, Muhammad Parvez. Aqsa had often quarreled with him about her refusal to wear a hijab (traditional headscarf). She would sometimes change out of her traditional Muslim outfit once she arrived at school. After the attack, Muhammad called the police and said he had killed his daughter. She died later that night in a hospital. Both her father and brother (who had misled investigators) were charged with first degree murder. Hearings in the case began Jan. 7, 2009.

Compiled by Ailsa Chang

Related NPR Stories