Marian McPartland hosts pianist Stanley Cowell for this 1999 episode of Piano Jazz, recorded before an audience at NPR's studios in Washington. Known for his brilliant and highly personal approach, Cowell bridges traditional and contemporary styles of jazz. He and McPartland challenge each other in inventive duets, and Cowell performs his composition "Equipoise."
Originally broadcast in the winter of 1999.
- "Bright Passion" (Cowell)
- "Anthropology" (Parker, Gillespie, Bishop)
- "Love Walked In" (Gershwin, Gershwin)
- "Warm Valley" (Ellington)
- "Equipoise" (Cowell)
- "Waltz for Debby" (Evans, Lees)
- "Tenderly" (Gross, Lawrence)
- "Softly, as in a Morning Sunrise" (Romberg, Hammerstein)