Arranger and composer Jaki Byard (1922–1999) played jazz piano, as well as alto and tenor saxophone. A partner of Maynard Ferguson and a member of bands led by Charles Mingus, Byard went on to become an educator, teaching at the New England Conservatory and other institutions.
For this 1995 episode of Piano Jazz, Byard solos in his original tune "European Episode" and joins host Marian McPartland for "Rose Room" and "In A Mellow Tone."
Originally broadcast in the spring of 1995.
- "Hello Young Lovers" (Rodgers, Hammerstein)
- "European Episode" (Byard)
- "Rose Room" (Hickman, Williams)
- "In A Mellow Tone" (Ellington)
- "How High The Moon" (Hamilton, Lewis)
- "Ornithology" (Parker, Harris)
- "We Kiss In A Shadow" (Rodgers, Hammerstein)
- "On A Clear Day" (Lerner, Lane)
- "June In January" (Rainger, Robin)
- "Free Piece" (McPartland)
- "My Silent Love" (Suesse, Heyman)
- "Lester Leaps In/I Got Rhythm" (Young, Gershwin)