Mike Longo performed his first gig at age 15 with saxophonist Cannonball Adderley, who was at that time unknown. Since then, Longo has played with, taught and composed for many other jazz greats, including Jimmy McPartland. He was Dizzy Gillespie's pianist and musical director, and his repertoire includes everything from traditional jazz to bebop.
In this 1999 episode of Piano Jazz, Longo solos in Gillespie's "Con Alma," and host Marian McPartland continues the tribute with her own "Dizzy."
Originally broadcast in the winter of 1999.
- "Stella By Starlight" (Washington, Young)
- "Con Alma" (Gillespie)
- "Softly As In A Morning Sunrise" (Hammerstein, Romberg)
- "Dizzy" (McPartland)
- "Sweet And Lovely" (Arnheim, Daniels, Tobias)
- "Ill Wind" (Arlen, Koehler)
- "Shadow Of Your Smile" (Mandel, Webster)
- "Conflict Of Interest" (Longo)
- "Dawn Of A New Day" (Longo)
- "Oleo" (Rollins)