On-Air Challenge: Every answer today is a familiar two-word phrase or name with the initials T-A. Answer their clues.
Ex. Professor's aide --> TEACHER'S ASSISTANT
1. Israel's second-largest city, after Jerusalem
2. Part of a phonograph that holds the needle
3. Professional who can help lower your IRS bill
4. Circus performer who flies through the air
5. Feat in which an ice skater turns 3 1/2 times while jumping
6. Carrier to Istanbul
7. Fighting group that Hector helped lead in Greek myth
8. Group depicted in "The Last Supper"
9. Area in the plains states known for twisters
10. Actor formerly married to Roseanne
11. A little over 24 hours from Monday morning
Last week's challenge: Mash up the titles of past #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart to tell a story. For example, here's a runner-up entry submitted last week from listener Gregg Nass of Baltimore:
Sugar, Sugar / I Heard It Through the Grapevine / (You're) Having My Baby / I Gotta Feeling / It Wasn't Me / The Stripper
Entries were judged on cleverness, naturalness of reading, memorableness of the songs, and overall elegance.
Winning puzzle submission: Thrift Shop! / What Goes Around Comes Around. / Rag Doll, / Good Luck Charm, / Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini, / It's All In The Game. / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For!
Puzzle winner: Mike Pleasants from St. Paul, MN
Next week's challenge: This week's challenge comes from listener Warren Bergmann of Brownsville, Wis. Name a familiar medical procedure in nine letters. You can rearrange these letters to name two people who might get this procedure. The answer consists of informal names for these people. Who are they?
Submit Your Answer
If you know the answer to next week's challenge, submit it here. Listeners who submit correct answers win a chance to play the on-air puzzle. Important: Include a phone number where we can reach you. The deadline is Thursday, May 11 at 3 p.m. ET.