On-air challenge: Every answer today is a word or name that starts with the syllable "Cal-."
Example: Important nutritional element in milk and cheese --> CALCIUM
1. Hobbes' friend in the comics
2. Largest city in Alberta
3. Measuring device
4. Ingredient in a soothing lotion
5. One of the largest cities in India in its English spelling
6. Wife of Caesar
7. Classical name for Scotland
8. Caribbean stew
9. Kind of cat
10. Thickened bit of skin on the hand of a manual worker
11. Rudely uncaring
12. Muslim ruler
13. In the Bible, where Jesus was crucified
14. Gym exercises
Last week's challenge: Think of a title for a particular person — two words, 15 letters in total — in which the only vowel is "I." What is it?
Challenge answer: Miss Mississippi
Winner: John Price of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Next week's challenge: Take the 7-letter last name of a famous woman. Drop the letter E. Add an I and an F. You can rearrange the result to get a word that famously describes this woman. Who's the woman, and what's the word?
Submit Your Answer
If you know the answer to next week's challenge, submit it here. Listeners who submit correct answers win a chance to play the on-air puzzle. Important: Include a phone number where we can reach you by Oct. 18 at 3 p.m. ET.