Tiny Desk Meets AFROPUNK was the opening event of AFROPUNK's "Black Spring" festival. The virtual celebration, hosted by Jorge "Gitoo" Wright, highlighted outstanding talent in Afro-Latin and Afro-Caribbean music across the globe. Our showcase featured four artists who honored their homes and celebrated the art their heritage has inspired.
"¡Tú sabes!" Carlos "Tostao" Valencia exclaims after Colombian hip-hop trio ChocQuibTown performs its second song, the energetic "De Donde Vengo Yo." "ChocQuibTown, straight from Colombia, from the Pacific coast," he says. "We call it Africa inside Colombia, we got the flavor, we got the flow." ChocQuibTown — named after the coastal area the trio hails from — is a family affair comprised of siblings Miguel "Slow" Martinez and Gloria "Goyo" Martinez, the latter of which is married to Valencia. In 2000, the trio formed to promote their neglected corner of Colombia's culture; today, ChocQuibTown's music blends the traditionality of Afro-Latin jazz with the modernity of hip-hop to create a singular, yet versatile sound.
- "Somos Pacífico"
- "De Donde Vengo Yo"
- "Pa Olvidarte"
- "Qué Lástima"
- "Lo Que Quieras Tú"
- "Cuando Te Veo"
- Goyo: vocals
- Slow: vocals
- Tostao: vocals
- Carlos Palmet: bateria
- Alejandro García: guitar
- Daniel Rodríguez "Noize": piano
- Braulio Fernández: bajo
- José González: trumpet, piano, vocals
- Eignar Renteria: vocals
- Yaima Saurez: vocals
- Video: Kevin Quiles, Roberto Vélez, Diego Valerio, MotionHaze, GoldenHour Music Group LLC
- Audio: Gabriel Gil, Waldy D.
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer: Abby O'Neill
- Video Producer: Maia Stern
- Audio Mastering: Josh Rogosin
- Associate Producer: Bobby Carter
- Tiny Production Team: Bob Boilen, Kara Frame
- Executive Producer: Lauren Onkey
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann