NPR IN-DASH APP CONNECTS GENERAL MOTORS DRIVERS TO ON-DEMAND NEWS, SHOWS & MUSIC
NPR Develops First Dedicated News App Offered in Chevrolet and Opel AppShops; Launching Internationally and in North America
January 5, 2014, 11PM (ET); Washington, D.C. – A valued road companion for more than 40 years, NPR remains at the forefront of keeping drivers connected to the world. Soon, NPR will offer Chevrolet and Opel owners a new, more personalized way to access NPR and public radio news, programs and local stations in their vehicles. Chevrolet announced today at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show that the NPR News app is one of the initial offerings in the in-car AppShop, available this summer in select Chevrolet vehicles with MyLink technology. The NPR News app also hits international pavement this year in the Opel Insignia sedan for the European market.
Developed by NPR, the app is the first dedicated news app Chevrolet plans to offer, and provides U.S. drivers with news, culture and humor from NPR and more than 900 public radio stations nationwide, including live broadcast listening and more than 80 all-music streams. All NPR newsmagazines and programs, like Morning Edition, Tell Me More and Ask Me Another, are available to hear in the app. The app uses a vehicle's GPS location to automatically localize listening to the nearest NPR Member Station. The NPR News app can be downloaded for free by accessing the AppShop through an on-screen icon.
Opel announced its own version of AppShop for the European market Insignia sedan, where drivers will be able to get the NPR News app, at the recent Frankfurt International Motor Show. The international version of the app features NPR's news stream, hourly news updates, on-demand listening to news and entertainment programs, as well as the option to hear a continuous mix of stories from across public radio.
"With the General Motors AppShop platform, we've brought the best aspects of radio and digital listening to an experience smartly designed for cars," said Zach Brand, VP of NPR Digital Media. "This partnership offers our domestic and international audiences the ability to listen to the best of NPR and public radio, when and how they want."
The NPR News app for General Motors is the latest step in NPR's continued in-car evolution and effort to make content readily accessible for audiences across multiple platforms. The NPR News app is already compatible with Ford's SYNC AppLink system and NPR content is being integrated into in-car systems by Aha Radio, CloudCar™, Livio Radio, OpenCar, and others.
A thriving media organization at the forefront of digital innovation, NPR creates and distributes award-winning news, information, and music programming to a network of 975 independent stations. Through them, NPR programming reaches 27 million listeners every week, and nearly 23 million monthly on digital platforms. Visit npr.org/stations to find local stations, listen to programs, music and stories, and learn more.
Media Note: The NPR News app for General Motors will be on display this week at the Chevrolet booth at the Consumer Electronics Show.
NPR NEWS APP KEY FEATURES:
- Upon first launch, the app determines a local NPR station and assigns it as the primary favorite. It then identifies that station audibly, plays the hourly news, and drops into that station's live stream.
- Tap "Stations" to find other nearby NPR Member Stations, or search for any other Member Station across the country. Set favorite stations, programs and topics.
- Choose from 25-30 on-demand NPR programs for immediate listening, like All Things Considered, Morning Edition and Fresh Air.
- Pick from a selection of various topics – Politics, Health or Technology – to get an automated playlist of news and other stories related to that topic.
- Features more than 80 continuous music streams from NPR and Member Stations, such as KCRW, WBGO and WXPN. Select a featured stream or choose streams from genre-based lists. Genres include Alt Rock, Indie Rock, Roots Rock, Hip-Hop, Eclectic, Classical, Jazz, and more.
- Upon first launch, the app plays the latest Hourly Newscast and then begins the international NPR News Stream, a never-ending playlist of stories based on listener preferences and location.
- Set favorite programs and topics.
- The interface supports six languages for all menu items, popups, etc. (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese).
NPR Media Relations: Anna Bross
Email: mediarelations (at) npr.org