Sergio Salvatore was only 14 when he appeared as Marian McPartland's guest on Piano Jazz 20 years ago, but he was already making the jazz world sit up and take notice. The young composer and pianist is a natural. He's since gone on to partner with virtuoso vibraphonist Christos Rafalides, with whom he released the album Dark Sand.
In this 1996 edition of Piano Jazz, Salvatore solos in his own tune "Revolving Door" and teams with McPartland for "Autumn Leaves."
Originally broadcast in the spring of 1996.
- "Revolving Door" (Salvatore)
- "Always A Beginning" (Salvatore)
- "Isn't This Romantic" (Rodgers, Hart)
- "It's Too Late Now" (Lane, Lerner)
- "What Is This Thing Called Love" (Porter)
- "Darn That Dream" (Van Heusen, DeLange)
- "Free Thing" (McPartland, Salvatore)
- "Some Day My Prince Will Come" (Morey, Churchill)
- "Crystal Silence" (Corea)
- "Autumn Leaves" (Mercer)