Newport decompression edition. Links we missed:
- Reese Witherspoon is scheduled to play jazz singer Peggy Lee in a forthcoming biopic, reports Variety. Nora Ephron will write and direct.
- Video coverage of this year's Detroit International Jazz Festival will be streamed online, in large part, via JazzPlanet.tv.
- A great little piece about the lightning-quick piano tuner of the Newport Jazz Festival. Yes, there's only one of them.
- A few recaps of said CareFusion Newport Jazz Festival: Steve Greenlee, Jon Garelick, Jim Macnie.
- The Real Book of Argentine jazz, available as a free PDF download and sampler album. (H/T Eric Benson.)
- Matthew Kassel, a rising senior at McGill University, spent the summer studying jazz criticism with Ben Ratliff. He's been blogging at Cold Jazz. Happy to see more folks interested in directing conversation about this stuff.
- On the rough summer for Chicago's jazz clubs.
- Been catching up on All About Jazz featured interview/profiles recently. Here's Dan Weiss and Jessica Williams.
- The Jazz Loft Project Blog recently caught up with Wendell Harrison, one of the players from back in the day.
- The Latin Jazz Corner interviews percussionist Annette Aguilar.
- JazzWax has a variety of new stuff up, including a Little Richard interview.
- The Jazz Session speaks with Eric Hofbauer, and re-ups an old David Torn interview.
- The Checkout this week features highlights from the Newport Jazz Festival last weekend.
A few links we have mentioned:
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Say, have I talked enough about how NPR Music recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival last weekend with WBGO and WGBH? No? How about the fact you can download many of the sets? Or that the master URL is NPR.org/newportjazz?
- Listen to all of Esperanza Spalding's Chamber Music Society before it drops next Tuesday.
- You remember Handyman Negri from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood? Even at 84, he's a great jazz guitarist too, as Joel Rose reports.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz this week re-airs a session with the late pianist Joyce Collins.
- JazzSet this week airs an Edmar Castaneda trio + Joe Locke show.
- Jazz by the ABCs.