The Albums We Missed This Year
We're getting close to the end of the year, thinking about songs we loved and — inevitably — getting turned on to great music that escaped us. It turns out there was a lot of music released in 2012, and while we do our best to feature much of it on All Songs Considered, we're really able to share only the tiniest fraction of what's out there. So before it's too late, we thought we'd take a moment to pause and check out some of the albums we missed. To help us out, we asked Sami Yenigun, Otis Hart, Lars Gotrich, Frannie Kelley and Anastasia Tsioulcas of the NPR Music team to share their own favorites that never made it on the show. It's a pretty broad mix, from classical composer John Adams and Ethiopian jazz pianist Samuel Yirga, to electronic artist Acid Pauli, the doom metal group Pallbearer, rapper Kendrick Lamar and more.
Advisory: This episode of All Songs Considered contains profanity.
Songs Featured On The Show
- Song: Ahead Of Myself
- from Beams
- Song: La Voz Tan Tierna
- from Mst
Kelan Philip Cohran/The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
- Song: Spin
- from Kelan Philip Cohran & the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
- Song: Abet Abet [Punt Mix]
- from Guzo
- Song: Short Ride in a Fast machine, fanfare for orchestra
- from Harmonielehre; Short Ride in a Fast Machine
- Song: Swimming Pools (Drank) [Extended Version] [Version]
- from Good Kid M.A.A.D. City
Advisory: This song contains profanity.
- Song: Be Good
- from American Weekend
- Song: The Legend
- from Sorrow and Extinction