A friend of mine posted this video the other day, and I feel compelled to share it with you, if only to purge the image from my mind. The video features Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, performing a bass solo after consuming copious amounts of whiskey. I should note that his bass guitar itself is in the shape of a Jack Daniel's bottle.
For starters, this video should come with a "Do Not Try This At Home" warning -- a label that should apply to most bass solos, drunk or sober. But setting aside all personal opinions about gratuitous bass solos, there is much to learn from this video.
So, before you watch, here are a few things to think about:
1. Alcoholism and its devastating effects
2. Sammy Hagar
3. Self-delusion and self-denial
4. The challenges of adulthood -- am I prepared?
5. Am I fulfilling my life's purpose?
6. David Lee Roth
7. Do I know when to ask for help?
8. Have I learned from my mistakes?
9. Is my smile hiding a deeper pain?
10. Perhaps compared to others, my own problems aren't really that bad
If you gleaned anything from this exercise, please share your thoughts in the comments section.