NPR In The News: The SXSW Edition : NPR ExtraIt was the fifth year for NPR Music at Austin's SXSW festival last week. Find some behind-the-scenes pictures and select press coverage in a special SXSW edition of NPR In The News.
Equipment case belonging to Fiona Apple, who played at NPR Music Showcase: Live From Stubb's.
The NPR Music team hard at work between sets.
A local Austin retailer had the This is NPR: The First Forty Years book on display.
Live from SXSW 2012: Andrew Bird sound checks before appearing at the NPR Music Showcase: Live From Stubb's.
The line outside of the NPR Music SXSW Showcase Live from Stubb's.
La Vida Bohéme live during NPR Music's Live from the Parish show.
Stack o' Totes: NPR gave about about 500 NPR Music tote bags during SXSW.
This woman brought her NPR Music tote bag from last year...and got a new one too.
The NPR Music graphic for SXSW 2012.
NPR Music makes its mark among a crowd of concert handbills.
NPR Music arrives in Austin.
Rundown of NPR Music at SXSW.
Live from the Parish at SXSW: NPR Music presented a concert headlined by The Magnetic Fields, Lower Dens, Polica, Sugar Tongue Slim and La Vida Bohème.
1 of 13
Since its premiere more than 20 years ago, SXSW has steadily grown in its size and impact on the music, film and interactive industries. NPR Music's presence at the festival has increased significantly over the years as well with last week marking their fifth trip to Austin. This year, NPR shared the music of SXSW with audiences worldwide and found itself in the middle of some of SXSW 2012's more memorable moments. Here are some behind-the-scenes pictures and select press coverage:
- Long before news outlets descended upon Texas for the film, interactive and music portions of SXSW, Austinist, Brooklyn Veganand other news outlets already had an eye on what NPR Music had in store for music fans this year.
- USA Today's Mike Snider popped in to NPR Music's kick-off SXSW showcase at Stubb's BBQ to review the show and speak with Bob Boilen about Finoa Apple's performance and NPR Music's legacy at the festival.
- Apple's show Wednesday marked her first outside of LA in five years, and she performed some of her most popular songs alongside new ones. Read more about her return to the national spotlight from AP's Chris Talbotthere.
- Bruce Springsteen rocked SXSW for the first time in 2012, and NPR Music made sure everyone could watch his keynote speech on Wednesday. Mashablehad the skinny on the worldwide live broadcast, a first for the SXSW Music festival.
- Thursday, NPR Music hosted guests at the annual day party "Live from the Parish." This year's lineup included The Magnetic Fields, Lower Dens, Poliça, Sugar Tongue Slim and La Vida Boheme. Read a complete review from Culture Map Austin.
- Esquire offers a nice wrap up of Austin coverage with some festival discoveries from NPR Music's Ann Powers, Bob Boilen, Robin Hilton and Stephen Thompson.